HVMC Goes Green!
Harvey Vogel Manufacturing Co. is committed to active stewardship of the environment on behalf of the community and our employees. To this end we have achieved ISO 14001 certification for our Environmental Management System (EMS) in which we actively pursue continual improvement in activities aimed at zero pollution, reduced energy usage, and recycling materials.
At Harvey Vogel Manufacturing we have a unique appreciation for the environment acquired from our location. We are situated adjacent to a rare Tamarack tree wetlands area populated by deer, wild turkeys, raccoon, fox, mink, coyote, pheasant, geese and many more creatures. Maintaining the health of this area is critical to maintaining our work environment.
Wetlands area outlined in Yellow
Pictures taken from our office windows
The Harvey Vogel Manufacturing Co. Environmental Policy is the basis of HV’s Environmental Management System (EMS) that is committed to the continual improvement, prevention of pollution and compliance with requirements.
Within the framework of our Environmental Management System we commit to:
Continual Improvement – Strive to:
· Continually enhance and improve our EMS environmental performance consistent with our goals and principles stated in our policy.
· Proper establishment, implementation and maintenance of our EMS.
· Continually monitor our EMS through internal, external audits along with periodic reviews by top management.
Prevention of Pollution – Strive to:
· Identify materials, processes, products and wastes that cause or may cause pollution.
· Apply processes for safe purchasing, handling, storage and disposal of chemicals used.
· Reduce waste generated by the company through the recycling program.
· Controlling environmental aspects such as noise pollution, indoor air quality and emissions that affect our environment and employees
· Implementing measures to avoid reduce or control pollution where technically and economically viable.
Compliance with Environmental Requirements – Strive to:
· Comply with legal requirements and other requirements to which the company subscribes that relate to our environmental aspect.
· Developing and maintaining management systems that identify relevant requirements and then monitoring performance of related activities.
Specific initiatives undertaken recently include tuning setback thermostats for unoccupied periods, installing new energy efficient lighting throughout our facility, motion sensors for restroom lighting, recycling bins for paper, plastic and cans, specific targets for reduction in usage of chemicals and material hazards information available online from every computer.
HVMC has established, implemented and maintains a procedure to identify potential emergency situations and potential accidents that can have an impact on the environment and how it will respond to them.
On September 14, 2010 Harvey Vogel Manufacturing Co. was certified for ISO 14001 EMS
Environmental Manual for ISO 14001 (pdf)